Photos by Ravi Prabhu
After purchasing a Groupon for $149 (a $249 value) to sky dive with Sin City Sky Diving in Las Vegas, we decided to do the jump last weekend. Here’s our experience with Sin City Sky Diving and the reasons why you should not dive with the company.
But with a lot of our friends telling us stories about losing their phones at the club, we decided to warn you to keep your phones safe. Three friends told me about their many friends losing phones from their pant pockets, closed purses and, well, just from hands. Holding phones in hands and losing them is understandable, because of the environment you’d be in – the crowd, drinks, loud music, but if they are lost from closed bags or long-pocketed pants or jeans, then that’s something serious. I, along with another sober girl, lost our phones the same night at Abbey.
The first thought after arriving to your destination from a long-haul flight is to wait at the baggage claim for your bags to arrive. And then lugging them all the way to the gate and take them home. Now, American Airlines will launch a service that, in association with BAGS VIP, will deliver your bags to your doorstep.
- Eat dinner early before you get to the airport
- Have a cocktail or glass of wine at the airport before you get on the flight. One will help you sleep, but two or more will get you too dehydrated and lead to poor quality sleep.
- Drink LOTS of water just before boarding the flight.
- Noise-isolating (or -cancelling) headphones can be helpful too, but for sleeping compact earbud models that don’t stick out of your ears are preferable.
- Bring eye shades and a pillow or soft jacket onboard. Try to get a window seat so you can rest your head more easily; or if you’re traveling on a relatively open flight, try to get a seat assignment in an open row so you can sleep horizontally
- Sleep as long as possible until landing (grab more water onboard if possible – dehydration can make you feel more tired), then as soon as you get to the terminal, grab a coffee for the journey into town.
- If at all possible, try to check in early at your hotel, take a shower, have a lightbreakfast and another coffee.
- If your flight is under 5hrs, do not expect to be rested; if you have trouble sleeping on planes, take some melatonin. 1-2 mg of melatonin should have a relatively mild effect, and will gently get you to sleep within 30 mins without knocking you out for 8 hours like Ambien would. Melatonin is the most effective for not feeling tired after a 4.5hr to 7hr flight if taken about 30min prior to boarding.
- Sun bathe for 20-25 mins to get Vitamin D
Bang for buck: It’s free!
Ease of use:
Microsoft’s Bing launched an app called “Get Me There” right on time for the Olympics, that helps you plan your routes and journeys around London Tube, while also giving you live updates on the status of all the lines.
Some of the features of this app are:
- Plan journeys using Bing maps, the London Underground network, DLR, London buses and London Overground trains
- Full tube maps and live service updates
- Live departures and status updates by tube station
- Nearest tube/train stations (with map and walking directions)
- Set up favorite journeys with ‘live tile’ alerts on your home screen
- Weekend service updates – Offline access to tube maps (great for when you are on the tube)
Traveling to London for the Olympics or living there, Bing Get MeThere might come in handy for you.
Virgin America has a deal of 20% off your next flight for travel between August 28 and November 14.
Offer ends July 31st.
Follow these steps:
- Click here
- Fill in the form and click on “Get Your Code”
- You will receive your 20% off code in email
- Book on Virgin America and enter the details of your trip.
- Apply your promo code during checkout
Note: Offer is valid only for nonstop or connecting travel. Blackout dates are August 31, 2012 and September 3, 2012. See terms & conditions for more information
Very soon, you will be able to purchase our travel guides on devices other than Kindle and Nook, through the Smashwords publishing website.
Here’s a list of some guides that are already up for purchase on other devices through Smashwords:
- Amsterdam Walking Tour
- Barcelona Walking Tour
- Bruges Walking Tour
- Istanbul Walking Tour
- Santiago Walking Tour
- Vienna Walking Tour
In the meanwhile, check out all the travel guides available for Kindle & Nook.
Keep checking this space for updates.