Emirates has been voted the world’s best airline by passengers at the annual Skytrax World Airline Awards, that are decided by over 18 million passengers in 160 countries around the world. The awards were announced in Paris today.
Passengers judge airlines on everything from the cleanliness of the cabin to the quality of the in-flight food and entertainment. Dubai-based Emirates took the debut prize in 2001, and retained it in 2002, before missing out on the top spot for a decade. But it topped the list again placing last years winner, Qatar Airways, to the second spot.
Skytrax World Airline Awards 2013
- Airline of the Year: Emirates
- World’s Best Cabin Staff: Cathay Pacific
- World’s Best Low-Cost Airline: Air Asia
- Best Economy Class: Garuda Indonesia
- Best Premium Economy: Air New Zealand
- Best Business Class: Qatar Airways
- Best First Class: Etihad Airways
- Best In-Flight Entertainment: Emirates
- Best Signature Dish: Malaysia Airlines’ Satay Service
Emirates was also named best airline in the Middle East, and won a third award for its in-flight entertainment system. Cathay Pacific’s cabin crew were crowned the world’s best, while Air Asia took the prize for best low-cost airline. Japan’s ANA won a new award for cabin cleanliness, as well as receiving a five-star airline rating.
The Skytrax World Airline Awards were established in 1999; they are compiled from the world’s largest airline passenger satisfaction survey – responses to questionnaires in English, Spanish, Chinese and Russian.