Each of us has a responsibility for the sustainability of our planet and each of us can make a difference if we choose to do so.
On 26 March at 8:30pm Earth Hour 2011 will take place – globally. This is an opportunity for every individual, every business and every community to switch their lights off for one hour in a collective display of commitment to protect the one thing that unites us all – the planet.
With Earth Hour almost upon us, our thoughts are with the people of Japan during this incredibly challenging and
sad time for their country.
Some of the things that Earth Hour website recommend we can do in our homes to save this planet:
* Buy local produce from markets thereby reducing food miles
* Walking or riding the bike wherever possible as opposed to driving
* Ensure the car tyres are always inflated to the correct level as they use less fuel
* Use fuel with Ethanol
* Turn off the lights and use organic or beeswax candles a lot of the time
* Unplug appliances when they are not in use
* Use heating and cooling when absolutely necessary
* Wash in mostly cold water
* Use chemical-free dish washing, washing powder and cleaning products
* Recycle, recycle, recycle
* Buy products with the highest recyclability
* Purchase clothes that are ethically made, not mass produced
* Dress in Organic clothing
* Install water-saving nozzles on all taps including showers
* Compost scraps whenever possible
* Prepare food plans so as to avoid food wastage
* Grow herbs and spices
* Have timed showers to use less water
* Water the plants of an evening
* Bury food scraps in the garden bed to feed the earth worms or compost
* Collecting grey water from bath and use it to water plants
* Using Certified Organic personal care products (avoid using chemicals)
* Wash the car on the grass with environmentally friendly car wash
Together we can make a difference!